Clicking the icon will bring up a window discussing how the upgrade works and ultimately an area to enter your information to reserve your Windows 10 upgrade.
Many are worrying that the alleged free upgrade might be a phishing attack, but rest assured, the icon is real and so is the free copy of Windows. Here are some facts about Windows 10 and the ‘Get Windows 10’ upgrade icon:
Is this “reservation” popup legit?
- Yes it is. It’s installed by Windows Update KB3035583.
Should I Upgrade?
- At this time CNS recommends remaining on your copy of Windows. Although Microsoft has made many significant improvements to Windows 10 over Windows 8, such as reintroducing the start menu, it is still unsure how many of our clients business applications will function with the new version of Windows.
Why am I being asked to “reserve” Window 10 digital download?
- The Windows 10 download is about 3-4 GB. Microsoft probably needs to schedule a roll out to serve an estimated 500 million downloads of that size. Inputting your email probably acts similar to a “let me know when Windows 10 is ready” reminder.
After I make the reservation, will Windows 10 start downloading and installing?
- Windows 10 isn’t finished yet or released to the public yet. If you put in your email, they’ll send you an email when the Windows 10 upgrade is ready.
Is it free? Some sites say I have to start paying for a subscription after the first year.
- Yes, it is free, as long as you take the upgrade before summer 2016. As long as your device is operational, you will get any and all Windows 10 updates for free.
Will I lose all my data?
- We do not believe so. This process is the very similar as upgrading from Vista to 7, or 8 to 8.1. All your programs and data should be migrated over. As always, though, common sense prevails, make backups of your important data before taking the upgrade.
If you would like to discuss the pros and cons of upgrading to Windows 10, please call our Help Desk. Our Microsoft Certified Engineers would be happy to discuss and implement a plan for you regarding Windows 10.